There and Back Again, A Harlow's Tale



Cold, Snowy, and Icy Training Block.  
During my recovery after my Arizona 50k, I felt insanely good. I knew I wanted to go for a 50 miler.  It would be my first and it felt incredibly daunting. I decided to really go for it after meeting with my coach.  I researched and even made a google sheet comparing the different races. (The small portion of Ravenclaw in me had a field day with this! HA! If you are interested, HERE is the comparison chart.) I decided on The Antelope Island Buffalo Run in Utah.  It would be the start of Spring Break which would be a perfect recovery week. The training block was incredibly difficult with big snow storms corresponding with every long weekend back-to-back run.  It was miserable and lonely but
I got it done.  I realize now that it was excellent mental training. Once I hit taper, I already felt so accomplished. 


snowy shake out run with Kirsten
The days leading up to the race I was riddled with anxiety.  The weather forecast was fluctuating between overcast and 40 degrees to torrential rain all day and through the night. I did not train in cold rain. I was so worried about getting soaked and chilled to the bone at the start and then having to spend the entire day running that way.  Race Day Eve came around and it started snowing up in Park City.  I was a bundle of anxious energy when my sister and I headed out for my little shake out run. I was all cranky because I didn't want to go.  However, it felt so good to get out the jitters. Plus, it was helpful to realize that even with the snow it was not that cold to run.  I ran in waaaaaaay colder temps during training.  Nothing like a shake out to reset my brain.  

Thursday night we checked into our hotel (which was overrun by high schoolers).  We didn't get very good sleep but really that was to be expected.  I woke up at 5:30, a full two hours early.  We headed to Antelope Island at about 8:30.  While driving across the bridge amidst the fog and rain, it looked so much like something out of The Lord of the Rings.   



My Pit Crew was the absolute BEST!

 Once we were on the island everything felt surreal.  When I put the bib on, I started to get panicked.  The only thing that kept me in one piece was repeating, Trust Your Training, in my head over and over.  I knew I had done everything in my power to get it done.  Just before 10am the race director herded us to the start and said the count down.  At zero he said, "run you fools!"  This got me laughing because it is also a LOTR quote. Running felt good and almost immediately all nerves dissolved.  

Lots of climbs but it was stunning!





Besides thinking of the race in terms of aide station to aide station, I imagined the course in three sections:

1. miles 0-19: elephant head loops with all the climbing
2. miles 19-33: crossing to the East side and going to the ranch aide station
3. miles 33-50: ranch aide station to the finish.


Rain, Rain, Go Away!
This big bison was ON the trail &
he was giving me the stank eye! 
The first 20 miles was almost constant rain.  It fluctuated between misting, raining and heavy raining.  Thankfully this all happened while I was on fresh legs.  The climbs in this area were solid but the absolute beauty of the location made up for it.  This area of the island actually reminded me of Scotland.  Of course, I was listening to Harry ⚯͛  and the Prisoner of Azkaban so that might have had something to do with it. We ran to the Elephant Head aide station, completed an out and back to a point overlooking the cliffs. Then passed through the Elephant Head again and headed out to complete a loop that dropped down to the water and climbed up the cliffs again. We ran along a ridge line back to the aide station. It was super muddy and windy up on the ridge. The rain was getting cold.  When I stopped at the aide station for the final time, my hands were freezing. I was worried for a bit but it didn't last long because within a quarter mile I warmed up from the running.  I could have used hiking poles in this Elephant Head section but I survived without them.  
        The overlook point on the
       Out-And-Back with a brief
                pause in the rain.

The run down the last straight away from the Elephant Head area back to the fence, I thought I could see my crew and wondered if that was them. Then suddenly they cheered and my heart grew huge.  It was such a mental lift to see them. I counted five people and knew my grad school friend had made it from her school in Salt Lake City. (YAY!)  I made a bee-line to the bathroom (almost didn't make it) next to the tent which turned out to be an aide station.  I checked in with the volunteers there and ate some food. We snapped a selfie and I headed out.


Crossing over to the east side of the island was a turning point.  I felt like I was really making progress and I felt STRONG.  This is the point when I was able to see my crew every 5-7 miles.  It was super fun to see them. It gave me something to look forward to while running.  It was also super cute to have Lisa run out to meet me multiple times. Their enthusiasm was contagious. I had multiple runners comment on them.  The guy in front of me (heck yeah, I eventually passed him!) enjoyed getting pseudo adopted by my crew. 



SO MUCH MUD!
Having a crew made ALL the difference!
The section from mile 27 to the Ranch at mile 33 felt so long. Total mind trip. I wasn't listening to the book or music at this point.  So I was left in my own head.  I thought it was after 8pm when I got there and I was so disappointed with myself but when I picked up Morgan she told me it was only 7:30! I was pumped. At the Ranch, I changed all clothing on the top half of my body and chose to wear fewer heavy layers (good choice). This was my favorite aide station as not only did they have sausage and bacon but they also had REAL bathrooms.  
Running with a friend was aaaamazing.  It was so wonderful having company.  Morgan kept me moving and entertained me with stories when it got dark. Eventually we saw the fire at the next aide station.  It was like a Beacon of Gondor- my second line of help (Kirsten) was close but deceptively further than it looked. 



Once to the Lowery Frary aide station at mile 39, Morgan gave tips to Kirsten who was taking over the pacer role for the remainder of the distance.  At this point, it was completely dark and they needed to remind me to eat and drink.  Miles 39-43 were strong but then my brain started to get fuzzled. The last 5 miles were painful with the feet- I thought I had pebbles in my shoes at one point and I didn't want to get blisters.  So, Kirsten went to get them out but she was like, uhhh there isn’t anything here which meant one thing...blisters.  At about mile 45 I got convinced we were off track because there was no turn sign. We bushwhacked down a hill back to the fence only to discover we had  
My pictures really don't do it justice. 
It was incredibly beautiful.

actually gone the correct way by chance. So we hiked back up the hill to the dirt road. There was about a half mile of challenging turns and very very small signs but we managed with two headlamps and a pacer with a fully working brain. At the final aide station, I sat for a moment and then stood up.  I didn't want to linger as we were only 4 miles from the finish.  I stood staring at the food choices.  My eyes stopped on the pickles.  I tried one and blurted out, "this is the best pickle of my entire life!"  Everyone erupted in laughter and I took another.  I then turned to Kirsten and said, "let's walk."  

At this point, the blisters became glass shards with every step.  I could feel them on the bottoms of my feet.  Sadly this development corresponded with a technical two and a half mile stretch and my balance and reaction time taking a hit. I got salty, very very salty.  There were all these rocks to navigate and any flat spot was a deep muddy puddle.  It was awful.  


The last mile and a half we got to pick up the pace as we were back on packed sand. But then we were tricked 2 different times by trailers for the Saturday start thinking they were the finish line and it was hard mentally.  I jogged for a good bit.  The last half mile turned into a hobble when I just couldn't take yet another false finish.  We got all the way back to the fence, made the final turn to the tent and I hobbled to the finish.  
Finisher Mug in Hand!


After checking in for the final time and getting my finisher mug, I sat in the hot tent dazed for a bit.  I changed into my after race garb (packed in a zip lock labeled as such).  Dyana got me my recovery shake (thanks lady!).  With blisters on the bottom of my feet, I hobbled over to the car. Kirsten perfectly put in an IV to rehydrate me during the drive back to Park City but  then of course I realized I really needed to pee before we started the drive.  I peed by the car with Kirsten and Dyana standing guard. It was seriously the Austin Powers forever pee.  
As much as I wanted to sleep, it was so difficult.  My body was so freaked out.  I got about two hours, was awake for a few hours and then another two.  My body felt pretty good on Saturday but wowza, my feet were a mess. After all my research about recovery the two things I was supposed to do (sleep and walk) were the hardest to accomplish. It wasn't until Sunday night that I finally got some good sleep and by Monday, I was walking like a champion and searching online for my next ultra! 




Things to improve on for my next ultra:

Foot care- I had no idea I had hot spots until they were already blisters.  Figure out preventative care. 
Course Directions- I should have studied the course more. I forget sometimes that some ultras are super small with fewer course markings. Have pacers memorize their segment for directions- my brain wasn’t reliable and it was SO dark.
Nutrition- Bring small zip locks for aids station food.  I saw a lady pack a little to-go baggie.  I ended up stuffing my pocket with Cheez Its.  It worked but a baggie would have been nice.  
Cards from teachers and students!

People to thank:  
My crew on the course- I have no idea how I would have finished that without you there.  Thank you so much for traveling to Utah to support me.  
My parents- they helped me during training runs in so many ways.  They were invaluable during those awfully cold icy miserable winter runs.  
Best Coach Ever! 
My coach- Kim you are amazing! I would trust you with any distance! Thank you a million times over.
My PT- Heather your thumbs might be evil but you are an angel.  Thank you for keeping me well tuned for the big day. 
Marissa- thank you for watching over the wondermutt while I was in Utah.  Knowing she was with you made it so I did not have to worry about her.
My work crew- thank you for the support while at school. I feel loved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Yeti 100 Endurance Trail Run Race Report

DFL

Valkyrie 50k Race Report