BEAR CHASE 50




Bear Chase 50 Miler

Looking back on the last two years of ultra running, I recognize my pattern now.  In the days leading up to my goal race, anxiety intensifies until I pick up by bib.  At this point the nerves disappear and in its place is a calm excitement.  A friend a couple weeks before asked if I just wanted it to be done already.  Truth is, I LOVE race day.  I love the chill in the morning, the nervous excitement at the start line, seeing how the day unfolds, working through and solving problems and crossing the finish line.  Race day makes the training worth it.

      
Start line selfie!
  
National Anthem



Start line sunrise

The Bear Chase 50 miler is comprised of four loops each 12.5 miles. I chose to complete the first loop without music or entertainment. I wanted to experience it with no distractions. It was like I was hyper aware of everything from rocks on the trail, run neighbors, sunrise colors and all the sounds of waking animals. First we dropped down to the creek and ran under the trees. It was there that we came upon the first super short but steep mini climb. We, the back of the packers, were all close together still and so we happily hiked up in a line like a trail of ants. From there, we looped across the bridge and passed over the first timing mat. I cheered a hello to the timers and continued on my way.


It was then I heard a squawking like a dinner party and was confused as to what was making this sound. I came up over a lip and it took my breath away. A flock of geese swam in the fog at the far end of a large pond. The sunrise reflected in the water. I was again reminded how much I love trail running and race day. 

Pushing forward past colorful bushes, I heard an owl up in the trees. A few moments later I got my first sighting of Mt. Carbon. With a determined sigh, I pushed forward towards the looming climb. For those who wondered, yes there is walking in ultra running. So there I was on race day in the very first loop only 3 or so miles in and I switched right into power hiking. I got pictures of the sunrise over the finish line and the Denver skyline. I picked up the pace again as I ran along the flat top and started down. I love downhill. Downhill is the best! I zipped along extending my arms like a five year old with plane wings as I rounded the turns. Downhill is the best! Did I mention I love downhill? I love downhill!

Sunrise on Mt. Carbon

water crossing 1: cold and higher than expected but fun!

water crossing 2: not as deep but lots of hidden big rocks to potentially trip over

water crossing 3: widest of the three


Initially the feeling of water logged shoes was strange but it quickly drained out and I was able to forget about my soggy feet.  Next we ran along the golf course and large houses up a gradual hill to the first aide station. I LOVE aide station volunteers. They are always so helpful and happy. "What can I get for you?" "What can I do for you?" "You're doing great!" "You look so strong!" I just appreciate them so much. This aide station was early on so I just grabbed a pickle and kept on moving. 

The next stretch of the course was unshaded along Morrison Road. Almost immediately there was a steep climb. It was a bit more of a climb than that first one in the trees by the start. Shortly after this climb we curved south away from Morrison Road dropping along a drainage ditch away from cars. It was soft to run on and quiet. This was one of my favorite little parts of the course. It was on this section that I saw a guy walking his adorable dog. I got a puppy power-up and the man asked how far I was going. I told him 50 miles and he look surprised. So I looked at my watch and said I was just over 5 miles "1/10th the way done!" We both laughed and I continued on my way.

The trail cut back close to the road and the second aide station came into sight. I ate a few pickles and chips and headed out on the little out and back which brought us to the second biggest steep climb of the loop. (It really should have a name... something like Devil's Man Bun or something.) It was ridiculous! A few steps along the top to catch my breath and then right into a downhill to start the 2.4 miles to the last aide station.

The final aide staiton of the loop was the Boat Ramp Aide station at mile 9.3 directly across the water from the finish line. I remember hearing the gazelles already completing their first loop to cheers and thinking wow, that's really going to be hard to see on the last loop- so close yet so far away. From the boat ramp aide station to the last timing mat was my least favorite section. I am pretty sure it was all a gradual uphill plus it felt SO much farther than it should. It was a total mind battle. Once past the timing mat and those very cheerful timers, the last 1.8 miles to the start/finish was actually a very pretty fun fast section.

1st Transition: I had decided to change socks but didn't tell anyone and then promptly forgot. Turned out fine but probably should do that in the future if there are water crossings. I asked for the water-activated cooling neck wrap because it was already getting hot. I also watered down the arm sleeves at all the aide stations here on out. 

3W Ambassadors- 
I love these goofballs!

Loops two and three went by super fast. I listened to two short elementary fiction books for librarian homework (If you are a p2p parent or student, you can check out free eBooks and audiobooks HERE). During the second loop, I started seeing friends & family at aide stations.  The first aide station on the second loop was Christie, Mandy & Emma.  Then the sisters & 3W crew started following me at aide station 2 of the second loop.  It was such fun to see them and provided motivation for me to keep on keeping on!    



2nd transition: I spent about 15 minutes here but for good reason...port o potty. My stomach was not cooperating at all this day. My crew was fabulous and had my new water bladder all set with icy cold Tailwind liquid calories. Since I bought two of the same bladders, it was a simple click out and click in switch. I changed my socks but forgot the cold neck wrap. This was not ideal in the peak heat of the day but I survived by wetting the cooling tech arm sleeves at all water crossings and aide stations. I really think listening to the books was a great distraction from the heat. Plus, I could easily hear what was going on around me so I was still aware of my surroundings.

After listening to two books and about 40 minutes shy of the third transition, Erin Wheeler, a camp friend, called and entertained me with her life update. I used a mini charger to keep my phone going with all this plus the Charity Miles App running in the background.

3rd transition: Changed out my socks and opted for liquid calories again seeing as it was the only calories I was getting along with chips/pickles at the aide stations and the one piece of trail gold (William Sonoma salted caramels) that I brought along for each loop. Tailwind was a lifesaver! Additionally, I changed out of my sweaty shirt since I would be finishing in the dark. I also picked up my pacer, Erin Manzanares, who is a school friend and Ironman finisher multiple times over. 
We dropped down from the road to follow the trees and creek. She checked in on how I was doing. I said I was feeling great about my primary goal (finish before they kick me off the course at 15 hours) and hopeful about my secondary goal (PR some). She enthusiastically did her single "HA!" laugh and said that wouldn't be a problem. It was at this point, I realized I had no idea what time it was starting this last loop. She said 4:30...FOUR THIRTY!!! I was on point to hit my third goal (PR by an hour). I got positively giddy! 

I was quiet for a few moments and then I started giggling. Erin asked what was up to which all I could say was, "By chance did YOU remember your headlamp?!" (thank goodness for the iPhone flashlight feature) I thought this was hilarious because what else was I going to do- give up?! So, I laughed instead and figured we would figure it out when the time came. We jogged the first few miles while she shared stories of her kids and her day. We hiked up Mt. Carbon and crossed the three water crossings making it to the golf course just as the golden hour was starting.


My watch beeped 11 hours and I was shocked- it didn't feel like that much time had passed at all. Kirsten, Marissa and Sadie dog cheered me through the first aide station in this final lap. I was yet again grateful to have a pacer as the stretch along Morrison can get lonely. We made our way to station 2 where Lisa, Rey, Morgan, and Divvy Dog were waiting...but first a puppy! (Yes, I really do stop for all dogs.) I had my last trek up unnamed evil climb to 90s rock blasting out of Erin's cell phone. Meanwhile the crew played leapfrog with us and met us at the Boat Ramp aide station to cheer some more.

Leaving the last aide station, we headed into the trees for the final out and back. It was juuuust starting to get dark. I was feeling really good. This was surprising to me seeing that by mile 45 last March on Antelope Island, my feet were riddled with blisters, my balance was off and my brain was mush. Erin and I continued chatting and made the last turn over the bridge to cross the last timing mat. I don't remember what got it started but we started singing Salt-N-Pepa's Shoop. One of my favorite memories of that last lap? Erin Manzanares knows ALL the words to this song and proceeded to sing it all while I was cracking up and offering an occasional back up singer phrase and dance moves. It was ahhhhh-mazing!


sun setting on 
my cheer squad
With only a couple miles to go it was now completely dark. (Side Bar: I learned this week that Erin was purposely not shinning her headlamp around as she was actively scared about what she would see if she shinned her light on the trees around us. HA!) About half mile from the finish, we heard an owl. We were like little kids all excited.


A second owl hooted and I stopped short. It was so special. I guess stopping in my tracks made the blister on my heel mad. I tried a few strides but it was like sandpaper over it on every step. I thought I must have moved the kt tape over it when I stopped short with the owl. So I had Erin look...nothing. I could only laugh at this because last March I made Kirsten check for rocks in my shoes at mile 41 only to find horrible blisters. Well at least I made it to mile 49 this time before taking off a shoe on a dark dark trail. So, I did the only thing there was to do- I ran through it.


Coming around the last bend, I could hear my family's cowbells before I could see them. (I am pretty sure my mom went out and bought these special for this race. Mom- they were TOTALLY worth the shopping trip. Thank you!) I couldn't stop smiling hearing them and knowing that I was so close and with so many people supporting me. I crossed the finish line and they announced that I was third in my age group. I was shocked (I do not place...ever.) I did a little dance and got all the finish line hugs that I could. I PRed by an hour and 34 minutes. It was amazing. We hung out near the finish line chatting until I got cold. I didn't want the night to end. With hugs all around we headed home. I love race day!

 
The moment I found out
I came third in my AG!
        
        Miles for you Sue!
3W Ambassadors at the finish!
Debbie, David, me, Morgan, Rey


Lisa, me, Mom, Kirsten
PEOPLE TO THANK: 

My crew on the course- My sister, Lisa and my mom were there from start to finish. Kirsten, Marissa and Sadie dog came to cheer me on through most of the day. All of them helped me with everything from cowbell cheering to helping me change my socks (gross).
My dad- He helped me on my long training run days by picking up Tonks and restocking my water supply on those impossibly hot summer runs.

My coach- Kim Springborn is my yellow brick road. She keeps me from injury, builds my strength of mind right along with my core strength and leads me right to the finish line. Here's to new goals in 2020!
My PT- I said this last time but it still holds true: Heather's thumbs might be evil but she is an angel. Despite knowing what I was walking in to on those Mondays, I loved going to see Heather, Amy and Michael.
Red Hammer is amazing people.
3W Races- James and Michelle Bettis are the owners of this local race company. When I got the email that I was accepted to be a race ambassador for 2016, I had no idea how much my life was about to change. 3W is a family. I am so lucky to have such incredible role models in life and in running. The amount of ambassadors who showed up to cheer me on or sent me texts and posts during the day was overwhelming. Thank you Morgan, Rey, Becky, Debbie and David for coming out to cheer me on. My heart grew three sizes that day!

My P2P work crew- thank you for all the support. I feel loved. It was so much fun getting texts throughout the day and seeing Christie French and Mandy Field at an aide station. I even got a high five from little Emma Field. I still can't believe we didn't get a picture! Special shout out to my pacer, Erin Manzanares who joined me for my last 12.5 mile loop and took those two incredible pictures of me running. I had a blast with you!


THINGS TO STILL IMPROVE ON FOR THE NEXT ULTRA:
Foot care- I can improve on this but it was so much better than last time. I am still trying to find the perfect sock for me. Blisters are stupid.  I am willing to pop, tape and move forward but I would really like to avoid that if possible.
Course Directions- Loops are easy for this goal but in the event no loops next time, I still need to remember this. Study the course!

Nutrition- The small zip locks for aids station food was great! For some reason my stomach was mad from the start and I wanted nothing to do with sweets. (weird, I know) Thankfully I was able to force myself through my nutrition during the first loop but it got really difficult to eat my packed foods after that. The baggies were great to stock up on chips and pickles at every aide station. Plus, it lead to a fun accidental discovery that if you combine a vanilla wafer with some Lays chips in the same bite, you get a delightful sweet and savory combination.
Crew Guide- Write a list of items with every loop baggie including what is a must and what is optional. That way they can use it as a check list and hopefully we will not forget the headlamp for the last loop!
Strength Training- Planks are evil but I must still do them. My glutes are freeloading jerks; they must be shown who's boss. I like testing my boundaries. I plan to keep going further and further and to do this I must build strength!


Comments

  1. wow Erica what a fantastic job! I am so impressed! sounds like an amazing challenge and you must be on cloud 9
    i love hearing about your life!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Valkyrie 50k Race Report

The Yeti 100 Endurance Trail Run Race Report

Hennepin100