Self Doubt is a Poison

Seriously.  I flip flop between thinking, "what have I done??!!" and "I've got this."  Wait, let me back up and explain...

About three weeks ago, I stopped saying "some day" and sent an email.  Sounds simple but it took me months to finally do it.  Seven months and well my entire life to be exact.  I emailed a trainer for help.  Ok, now it sounds simple to me too but it really wasn't simple.  I emailed a trainer and asked for help to accomplish what most people's reactions were "really?" or "I don't want you to get hurt" or "is that a good idea?"  See I want to complete my first ultra marathon and I am not exactly what you would imagine an endurance runner to look like.  No, I am not huge or whatever but I am not the super sleek runner in those tiny shorts with the slits up the sides.  I am the type of runner that people say, "good for her" when I run by which is not bad, per say, but not exactly a dream sentiment.

Anyway, two weeks ago I sent an email.  Here it is:

"Hi Kim, 
My name is Erica.  I am looking to complete my first 50k and I need help.  To be perfectly honest I am overweight, need to strengthen everything between my bellybutton and my knees, and I am slow.  However on the flip side, I am incredibly stubborn.  I have no doubt that I can complete the 31ish miles but I want to finish the race without fear of the time limit and with a smile on my face.  (I am looking to run the Behind the Rock 50 in Utah on March 24th.)
Currently I am on my way to reaching my 2017 goal of 10 halves in the year.  I have the Westy half on the 29th, the Backcountry Half the next weekend and the FaLaLa on Dec 9.  I find that if I am signed up for events, I am waaaay more motivated.
Anyway, this might have been way too much information but I wanted to lay it all out for you at the start.  I have never had a running coach (since high school); so, I have no idea how this really works.  After reading the website, I think either the run plan or standard 1:1 plan would be best.
Let me know your thoughts and thank you for your time."


And that was the start of that.  I am 21 days in and I have not made it to 10 pm on a school night- I just pass out tired.  This is going to be one wild ride.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Yeti 100 Endurance Trail Run Race Report

DFL

Valkyrie 50k Race Report